- Practice resources
- Digital physiotherapy and telehealth
- Infection prevention and control
- Practice management
- Continuing professional development
Physiotherapy management for COVID-19 in the acute hospital setting (PDF)
The guideline is available in:
Chinese (Simplified): 急性院内COVID-19物理治疗管理 (PDF)
Chinese (Traditional): 急性醫院中COVID-19之物理治療處置 (PDF)
French: Physiothérapie et COVID-19 (PDF)
Finnish: Fysioterapiasuositus COVID-19 (PDF)
Japanese: 急性期病院におけるCOVID-19の理学療法管理 (PDF)
Brazilian Portuguese: Manejo fisioterapêutico para COVID revisado (PDF)
Further translations are being produced. Anyone wishing to support translations in other languages should contact [email protected]
Listen to a podcast with Peter Thomas, consultant
The Royal Dutch Society for
Webinar: From ICU to long COVID: Physiotherapy for patients with COVID-19 infection recording from 28 April 2021
A number of courses are available:
- understanding coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- infection prevention and control
- role of physiotherapy in COVID-19
- respiratory management of people with COVID-19
- COVID-19 and nutrition
- physical activity and COVID-19
- mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic
PhysioPedia also has information about:
Report of an ad-hoc international task force of the European Respiratory Society to develop an expert-based opinion on early and short-term rehabilitative interventions (after the acute hospital setting) in COVID-19 survivors This is a living document and input from others is welcomed. Use the ERS blog to share experiences with the authors via the link above. The team aim to provide an update of the report at least once every two weeks and more frequently if needed. The document will result in a guidance for clinicians who want to provide rehabilitative interventions to COVID-19 survivors.
International Association of Physical Therapists working with
International Organisation of Aquatic Physical Therapists (IOAPT)statement about COVID-19 and the practice of aquatic physiotherapy (PDF) with recommendations and interview: Reflections on providing physiotherapy services during a pandemic(PDF) at the Sheba Medical Centre Hydrotherapy Service in Israel.
International Physical Therapists for HIV/AIDS, Oncology, Hospice and Palliative Care (IPT-HOPE)
- Seminar: Strategies for Management of People with COVID-19 with HIV, Cancer: Part 1. Watch the webinar recording. Password: 5x%[email protected]$$
- Seminar: COVID-19: Clinical Best Practices in
Physical TherapyManagement Watch the webinar recording
Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists guides for treating:
- adults with neurological conditions post COVID-19 in hospital, post-acute care and the community (PDF)
- community dwelling older people post COVID-19 Isolation (PDF)
- older people post COVID-19 in hospital, post-acute care and the community (PDF)
Scientific Council of Medical Continuing Education: Physical rehabilitation after pneumonia associated with coronavirus infection in Russian (PDF)
Cochrane: Special Collection: Coronavirus (2019-nCoV): evidence relevant to critical care available in Simplified Chinese, English, Farsi, French, Japanese, Malay, and Spanish. Further translations are planned.
ONCALLbuddy app for physiotherapists working respiratory on-call. Advice on
Chartered Society of
NHS Chain (UK): subgroup resources on long Covid
physiotherapy and telehealth
- Croatian: Izvješče radne skupine za digitalnu fizikalnu terapiju WCPT/INPTRA (PDF)
- Portuguese: Relatório da World Physiotherapy/INPTRA task force de prática digital de fisioterapia (PDF)
- Spanish: Reporte del grupo de trabojo de la WCPT/INPTRA sobre practica digital en fisioterapia (PDF)
INPTRA webinar on Telehealth
PEDro list of systematic reviews published in the last five years that evaluate the effects of tele-physiotherapy.
Centre for Health,
Chartered Society of
Irish Society of Chartered Physiotherapists: policy on ehealth for physiotherapists (PDF)
Cochrane: special collection on remote care through telehealth
Resources supporting Framework for core capabilities required of physiotherapists to provide quality care via videoconferencing from Melbourne University
prevention and control
WHO: advice on infection prevention and control
Chartered Society of
Cochrane: Special Collection: Coronavirus (COVID-19): infection control and prevention measures available in Simplified Chinese, Farsi, English, French, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish.
As lockdown restrictions are changed in different countries how they are responding to the gradual opening up of services and new working arrangements may be of interest to others. Please check regularly with national organisations.
The Spanish Association of Physiotherapists’ (AEF) primary care and community health subgroup has developed Reordenación de la actividad de fisioterapia en atención primaria (PDF), which describes how to re-schedule activities to treat patients at primary care and community level.
The Chartered Society of
Continuing professional development
Physiopedia has produced four free courses covering COVID-19, infection
WHO’s online courses relevant to COVID-19 are available in a range of languages.
FutureLearn has a course on COVID developed by the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, a world leader in research and postgraduate education in public and global